– Chelsea have retained their place at the top of the Premier League thanks to a hat trick by Mason Mount with a resounding 7-0 win over 10-man Norwich City at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
– The hosts were without first-choice strikers Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner, who both sustained injuries in Wednesday’s Champions League win over Malmo FF.
– Midfielder Mount opened the scoring on eight minutes with a drilled shot from the edge of the 18-yard-box into the bottom left-hand corner as the visitors struggled to keep pace with the league leaders.
– Chelsea’s advantage doubled minutes later as winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, who was making his third league start of the season, slotted past Norwich goalkeeper Tim Krul.
– Defender Reece James added a third just before the break as he careered down the right-hand side before chipping home from six yards out.
– Thomas Tuchel’s side continued to dominate in the second half, and defender Ben Chilwell took advantage, scoring for a third-consecutive Premier League game with a left-footed strike from the edge of the 18-yard-box.
– Norwich’s day went from bad to worse when defender Max Aarons scored an own goal on 62 minutes and then Ben Gibson was sent off shortly after.
– Chelsea were awarded a penalty on 82 minutes for a handball which Mount took but was saved by Krul. However, the penalty was retaken after it was shown that the Dutch goalkeeper had encroached on the line.
– Mount made no mistake with his second attempt and powered it past Krul. He added his third deep into added time with a shot straight down the middle of Norwich’s goal.