Mueez Ajao
– Uefa has been asked to look into the treatment of England fans who attended last week’s 2-1 Euro 2024 qualifying win over Italy in Naples.
– Bus issues were followed by four ticket checks at the heavily-policed Diego Armando Maradona Stadium.
– England fans told the BBC they were charged at by police and struck with batons when trying to enter the ground.
Also Read: King Kane leads 10-man England to narrow win over Italy
– After the match, Three Lions supporters were kept in the stadium for an hour after full-time.
– The England Supporters Travel Club, run by the Football Association, said in an email to fans: “We know many of you are unhappy at what went on, both before and after the game against Italy.
– “We have received some very detailed accounts since the match and share many of the concerns and frustrations.
– “On Monday, we met with a representative from the travelling UK Policing to hear their view and discuss the circumstances. They too faced a very challenging situation, as did our staff on the ground.
– “The Football Supporters’ Association has also raised significant concerns.
– “Taking all of this into account, we are asking Uefa to conduct a review of what happened on Thursday night. We will keep you posted on how this unfolds.”
– England recorded their first victory in Italy since 1961, with Harry Kane becoming the nation’s all-time record goalscorer in the win.
– “We appreciate the time you give, and the expenses incurred in following England,” the ESTC continued.
– “Our paramount concern is your safety and wellbeing. We work hard to make sure travelling to watch the team is as enjoyable as possible.
– “On this occasion it was not, despite the months we spent planning while working in good faith with the authorities in Naples.
– “We are sorry that what should have been a wonderful occasion watching our first win in Italy since 1961 was not, for many of you.”