Mueez Ajao
– Manchester United winger Alejandro Garnacho will be out for several weeks with an ankle ligament injury sustained in Sunday’s draw against Southampton.
– The 18-year-old came on after 73 minutes of the goalless game and appeared to be in pain after a challenge by Kyle Walker-Peters.
– Garnacho then went off and was replaced by Fred in the closing stages before leaving Old Trafford on crutches.
Also Read: Casemiro sees red as Man United drop points again
– “It is difficult to put into words how I’m feeling right now,” said Garnacho.
– “Unfortunately I will not be able to help my team and team-mates in the upcoming games in what is a very important part of the season for us at Manchester United.”
– United face Real Betis in the second leg of their last-16 Europa League tie on Thursday before taking on Fulham in an FA Cup quarter-final on Sunday before the international break.
– Garnacho had been called up by world champions Argentina for friendlies this month when he could have made his international debut.
– “I am disappointed to also miss the opportunity to be with my team mates of the Argentinian national team in what would have been a great and proud moment for me and my family,” added Garnacho on Instagram.
– “This is part of football and our profession, however, I am already focused in my recovery.”
– Walker-Peters suffered racist abuse online after the game at United.
– A racist term was directed at the full-back in response to a comment about Garnacho.
– In a post on Instagram, Walker-Peters said “the racial abuse I received is something that no player or person should ever have to experience”.
– Mentioning Garnacho, he added: “It would never be my intention to injure a fellow professional I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you back in action as soon as possible.”