– Manchester City defender Joao Cancelo is in line to join German champions Bayern Munich before Tuesday’s transfer deadline.
– A deal for the Portugal full-back is still to be completed but the proposal is for an initial loan with a 70m euro (£61.5m) option to buy in the summer.
Bayern have completed the agreement to sign João Cancelo, here we go! Deal set to be completed on loan plus €70m buy option clause 🚨🔴 #FCBayern
Cancelo told Pep Guardiola that he wanted to leave.
Medical tests later tonight.
Boarding completed – Munich ✈️ @TurkishAirlines pic.twitter.com/TiQMyMWhwq
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) January 30, 2023
– The 28-year-old signed for City from Juventus in 2019 and has made 98 Premier League appearances.
Also Read: Bayern sink further but remain top of the table
– He has won two league titles and the EFL Cup under Pep Guardiola.
– Cancelo had previously been viewed as one of the key players in Guardiola’s squad due to his ability to drift inside and act as a playmaker when City had the ball.
– His performances saw him named in the PFA Premier League team of the year for the last two seasons.
– However, he has only started three games since the World Cup and his last two appearances were in the defeats by Southampton and Manchester United.
– The emergence of teenager Rico Lewis and Nathan Ake’s improved form has left the City manager feeling confident he has enough defensive options to cover the exit of a player who is keen to move to Bayern in order to keep playing at the highest level possible.
– In December 2021, Cancelo suffered cuts to the face after attempting to fight off a gang of four intruders at his home in a “horrific robbery.”
– He signed a new five-year deal with the reigning Premier League champions in February 2022, extending his contract at Etihad Stadium until 2027.
– Last summer City sold defender Oleksandr Zinchenko and forward Gabriel Jesus to Arsenal, as well as Raheem Sterling to Chelsea in a £50m deal.