– Borussia Dortmund cruised past hosts Bayer Leverkusen 2-0 on Sunday for their third win in three league matches since the Bundesliga resumed after the winter break, climbing to within three points of the top spot.
– Dortmund’s comfortable victory snapped Leverkusen’s five-game winning run in the Bundesliga, dropping them to ninth place.
– Germany international Karim Adeyemi rifled in his first Bundesliga goal after a good passing move from Dortmund in the 33rd minute with Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby having earlier forced a superb save from Dortmund keeper Gregor Kobel.
Also Read: Haller assist and Gio Reina winner hand Dortmund all 3 points
– The keeper had to come to the rescue again three minutes after the restart, stopping both Diaby and Amine Adli in Leverkusen’s double chance to level.
– “Today it was not only an important win but also a deserved one and this is something we liked. We still have a long way to go but this was a good step now,” said Dortmund coach Edin Terzic. “We delivered a solid and strong performance. But don’t make us out to be better than we really are or worse than we are.
– “This win won’t mean much if we don’t keep at it and keep delivering the same performances. We are satisfied with the nine points [from three matches this year].”
– The visitors, who play Chelsea on Feb. 15 in the Champions League Round of 16, then doubled their lead in the 53rd when defender Edmond Tapsoba turned a Marius Wolf cutback into his own goal.
– The Burkina Faso central defender had an evening to forget after almost scoring a second own goal in the 72nd.
– He attempted to clear yet another cutback, this time from Julian Brandt, but instead stabbed it towards goal before Jeremie Frimpong came to the rescue and cleared on the line.
– Dortmund’s third straight victory moved them up to fourth place on 34 points, three off leaders Bayern Munich and one behind third-placed RB Leipzig. Leverkusen are on 24 in ninth place.
BIG 3 POINTS!! 💥⏹ pic.twitter.com/KqBtvGXEn1
— Borussia Dortmund (@BlackYellow) January 29, 2023