Mueez Ajao
– Luis Enrique has left his role as Spain manager after they were knocked out of the World Cup by Morocco.
– The 52-year-old took charge of the side in 2018 and guided Spain to the Euro 2020 semi-finals.
– The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) said a “new project” should start but did not put a time frame on when a new boss would be announced.
Also Read: Enrique defends Spain players after World Cup exit
– “We would like to thank Luis Enrique and his entire coaching staff,” the RFEF said in a statement.
🔴 OFICIAL | La @RFEF agradece a @LUISENRIQUE21 su trabajo al frente de la @SEFutbol
🔗 https://t.co/6Cib6cpJ1l#GraciasLuisEnrique pic.twitter.com/wkAIMu2utd
— RFEF (@rfef) December 8, 2022
– The former Spain midfielder stepped away from his role for a short period in 2019 because his late daughter had been diagnosed with bone cancer, before returning for the side’s impressive Euros run in the tournament that was delayed by a year because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
– Spain were knocked out of the Euros by eventual champions Italy after their semi-final went to a penalty shootout.
– They thrashed Costa Rica 7-0 in their opening group game of the World Cup but their possession-based game saw them accused of being “boring” as they drew 1-1 with Germany and lost 2-1 to Japan.
– On Tuesday, Spain were held to a goalless draw by Morocco before again losing a penalty shootout as they were knocked out.