Mueez Ajao
– Hansi Flick is to remain as Germany manager despite his side’s group-stage exit at the World Cup in Qatar.
– Their third-place finish in group E marked the second consecutive World Cup at which Germany have failed to progress to the knockout stage.
– Earlier in the week, technical director Oliver Bierhoff had his contract ended.
Also Read: Germany beat Costa Rica but crash out of World Cup
– But the German football association (DFB) has chosen to keep Flick as manager before a home European Championship in 2024.
Official: Hansi Flick stays as German national team head coach, he won’t leave the job. 🚨🇩🇪 #Qatar2022
Flick continues. Mission: Euro2024. pic.twitter.com/myxugphJ0l
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) December 7, 2022
– “My coaching staff and I are optimistic about the European Championship in our own country,” said Flick.
– “As a team, we can achieve a lot more than we showed in Qatar. We missed a great opportunity there. We will learn our lessons from that.”
Flick: Wir möchten, dass sich bei der EM 2024 wieder ganz Deutschland hinter der Nationalmannschaft versammelt. Wir können mehr erreichen, als wir in Katar gezeigt haben. Daraus ziehen wir unsere Lehren. Ich habe Vertrauen in den gemeinsamen Weg mit Bernd Neuendorf & Aki Watzke. https://t.co/njEoc2VZRh
— DFB-Team (@DFB_Team) December 7, 2022
– DFB president Bernd Neuendorf said: “We have full confidence in Hansi Flick that he will master this challenge together with his team.”
DFB President Bernd Neuendorf, DFB Vice President Hans-Joachim Watzke and Germany national team head coach Hansi Flick held a friendly and constructive conversation about the situation and future of the team.
Read the outcome of these discussions here:
➡️ https://t.co/XCmfJUE2hW pic.twitter.com/IT2BOgvigb
— Germany (@DFB_Team_EN) December 7, 2022