Mueez Ajao
– Chelsea defender Reece James will not be included in England’s World Cup squad when it is named on Thursday because of a knee injury.
– The 22-year-old sustained the injury against AC Milan on 11 October.
– James, who has 15 caps, remained optimistic of recovering in time for the competition.
Also Read: Chelsea’s James, Kante could miss World Cup due to injury
– He began jogging this week after Chelsea had initially said he was expected to be out for eight weeks.
– But it’s understood that England manager Gareth Southgate deemed it too big a risk to take James.
Official Reece James statement — he won’t be part of England team at the World Cup. 🚨🏴 #WorldCup2022 pic.twitter.com/MdKyCo3aoa
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) November 9, 2022
– England’s World Cup campaign gets underway against Iran on 21 November.
– Southgate’s situation has not been helped by an injury to fellow England right-back Kyle Walker.
– The Manchester City defender had groin surgery at the start of October, but told the BBC last month he was “confident” of being fit for the World Cup.
– However, City boss Pep Guardiola said last week that the 32-year-old would not play for the club before the tournament starts.