– Liverpool maintained the pressure on Premier League leaders Manchester City as they survived an early scare to come from behind and win at Aston Villa.
– Jurgen Klopp’s side suffered a shock after only three minutes when Douglas Luiz bundled home after Liverpool keeper Alisson failed to hold his header.
– Liverpool were on terms within three minutes when Joel Matip scored following a goalmouth scramble and the sides then exchanged chances before Sadio Mane put the visitors ahead with a superb angled header from Luis Diaz’s cross in the 65th minute.
- Advertisement -
– The win means Liverpool now lie second only on goal difference before City’s visit to Wolves on Wednesday.
– Former Liverpool striker Danny Ings wasted opportunities to equalise and inflict a blow to his old club’s hopes of winning a historic quadruple – although the Reds did suffer an injury setback when influential midfielder Fabinho went off in the first half with a hamstring problem that must make him doubtful for Saturday’s FA Cup final against Chelsea.