Ekiti APC primary: ‘Fayemi’s candidate’ speaks

Phenomenal
Phenomenal
Oyebamji

A top contestant in the Ekiti State All Progressives Congress governorship election, Mr Biodun Oyebanji, has spoken on the controversial poll held on Thursday.

Oyebanjo occupies a unique position in the primary as many believe he enjoys Governor Kayode Fayemi’s backing.

Six of the eight governorship aspirants of the party had boycotted the election, midway into the exercise, citing alleged cases of manipulation and fraud.

Oyebanji, also the immediate past Secretary to the State Government, decried the claims of undue interference and preferential treatment in his favour, as being made by the aggrieved aspirants.

Addressing newsmen in Ikogosi, Ekiti West Local Government Area, where he voted, during the primary, however, commended Gov. Mohammed Abubakar Badaru-led panel for being thorough in handling the election.

Oyebanji, who expressed optimism that God would give him victory against all odds, said he enjoyed the goodwill of many people in the state.

He said that he had worked hard for the primary by campaigning vigorously in all the local government areas ahead of the exercise.

Oyebanji described the primary as credible, free and fair, contrary to the position maintained by his co-contestants.

He said that the APC Appeal Panel would handle all the controversial issues surrounding the conduct of the election.

“The guidelines of our party gives room for the constitution of appeal committee to attend to whatever grievances anyone has.

“They have the right to their opinions, but the party will come up with its position on whatever they say.

“Concerning allegations of fraud and manipulation, we thank God for the role of technology in our politics.

“The reports I got was that things are going on well. I have seen people queuing for accreditation and voted.

“In fact, the process has gone on seamlessly and peacefully and the committee should be commended,” he said.

On his expectations, Oyebanji added: “I know that God will give me victory, because the process has been free and fair and I have done what was expected of me by campaigning to our people.”

NAN further reports that six, out of the eight gubernatorial aspirants, had on Thursday, marched to State Police Command Headquarters and party secretariat, to express their displeasure about the process, calling for immediate postponement or cancelation of the election.

They claimed the Electoral Committee names had been ‘doctored’ by certain privileged individuals in favour of Oyebanji, so that he could emerge the party’s candidate at all cost.

The aggrieved aspirants also alleged that the election materials had been hijacked by a group of people in favour of Oyebanji, whom they refered to as “anointed” candidate of powers that be.

Share this Article