– Xavi Hernandez is optimistic Barcelona can beat Bayern Munich next month after a goalless draw with Benfica on Wednesday left their Champions League hopes hanging in the balance.
– Barca will have to win at the Allianz Arena on Dec. 8 to make sure of their place in the last 16 if Benfica secure three points in Lisbon against Dynamo Kiev, who are already guaranteed to finish bottom of Group E, on the final matchday.
– The last two meetings between Barca and Bayern ended 8-2 and 3-0 in the German side’s favour, but Xavi says he’s seen enough in two matches since replacing Ronald Koeman to believe winning in Munich is possible.
– “What makes me most optimistic is seeing the team playing in this way,” Xavi said in a news conference after the Benfica draw when asked about his side’s chances of progressing in the Champions League.
– “Playing like this we can compete with anyone. Seeing what I’ve seen against Benfica, we can go to Munich and win. The positive news is we still depend on ourselves.”
– Bayern sealed the top spot in the group on Wednesday as they made it five wins from five by beating Kiev 2-1. Barca are second on seven points and Benfica are third on five points.