Osun records 169 fire outbreaks in 12 months

Osun records 169 fire outbreaks in 12 months
Fire Sevice

The Osun Fire Service said it recorded 169 fire outbreaks in the state between January and December 2020.

According to the 2020 statistical record of the service, obtained by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Osogbo, property lost to fire outbreaks in the year under review was estimated at N2.3 billion.

The record also showed that the months of January, February and March 2020 had the highest outbreaks, with 26 fire outbreaks recorded in January and property estimated at N1.2 billion destroyed.

It noted that in February, 76 fire outbreaks were also recorded, with property worth N710 million lost, while 12 cases of fire disasters were recorded in the month of March, with property worth N53 million destroyed by fire.

The record also showed that four persons lost their lives- three in February and one in April.

Mr Adekunle Ibrahim, the spokesperson of the service, blamed the outbreaks on people’s carelessness, ignorance and arson.

He said: “The careless ways people deal with electronics and electrical appliances at home, and how they also handle naked fire often serve as catalyst for fire outbreaks.”

He, however, said the state fire service was always out to sensitise residents, market women, religious bodies, business owners and others, on how to prevent and manage fire outbreaks.

“We have been sensitising the people and enlightening them to be very careful about how to handle naked fires, steps to take in cases of fire outbreaks, and the need to properly take care of electrical appliances to prevent fire outbreaks.”

He said the number of fire outbreaks recorded in the state in 2020 was still minimal because of the lockdown, as people were at home and mindful of their electrical appliances and activities involving naked fires.

He, however, advised people to always unplug their electrical appliances when not in use or when they are leaving their homes.

Ibrahim also encouraged people to ensure that they are mindful of their activities in the kitchen, stressing that major domestic fire outbreaks are due to electrical issues and fire errors from the kitchen.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here