Ozil rules out Germany return, after finally joining Fenerbahce

Ozil rules out Germany return, after finally joining Fenerbahce

World Cup winner Mesut Oezil will not return to the Bundesliga or the German international team, he said during a signing ceremony with Turkey’s Fenerbahce on Wednesday.

“Once I take a path, I never turn back,” Oezil told a press conference in Istanbul where he inked a three-and-a-half year deal with the Turkish Super League side.

“I wish the German international team success, but I will never again play [for them],” said the 32-year-old attacking midfielder.

Oezil also ruled out playing in the Bundesliga.

His comments follow remarks by German football federation (DFB) director Oliver Bierhoff earlier this month which hinted at possible reconciliation with Oezil.

Oezil, of Turkish descent, retired from Germany duty in 2018 amid accusations of racism shortly after the World Cup defence ended in a group stage exit in Russia.

He had helped Germany win the 2014 World Cup but his career has nosedived since.

Oezil completed his switch to Fenerbahce from Arsenal over the weekend.

Fenerbahce said Oezil will get a payment of 3 million euros (3.6 million dollars) per season for the next three seasons.

He had told reporters that joining Fenerbahce was his “childhood dream”, adding that he hoped he would help the team become champions this season.

Fenerbahce chairman Ali Koc called it “one of the historical days” for the club before he signed the deal with Oezil.

With 22 games left till the end of the season, Fenerbahce are currently second in the table, two points behind Istanbul city rivals Besiktas.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here