Atletico Madrid resume training after two players tested positive for COVID-19

Atletico Madrid resume training after two players test positive for COVID-19
Atletico Madrid resume training after two players test positive for COVID-19

Atletico Madrid’s fears of further disruption to their trip to the UEFA Champions League “Final Eight’’ tournament in Lisbon have been eased.

This came after the rest of the squad tested negative for COVID-19, following two positives the previous day.

The club’s morning training session was postponed due to the positive cases and their plans to travel to Lisbon were put on hold.

But the club have now said in a statement they would have one final session before flying out on Tuesday, a day later than planned.

The statement revealed that the two players to test positive were forward Angel Correa and injured defender Sime Vrsjalko, who were both asymptomatic.

They said the pair would miss the trip and were isolating at home.

Atletico Madrid, who are bidding to win the competition for the first time after falling in the 2014 and 2016 finals, face German side RB Leipzig on Thursday in the quarter-finals.

They will be hoping to set up a last four meeting with Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) or Atalanta.

“The first team squad and coaching staff underwent COVID-19 tests on Sunday and they all came back negative, after two positive tests were registered following the previous tests on Saturday,” said Atletico Madrid’s statement.

“In keeping with health protocols, those who share a home with the two players who tested positive also received tests, which came back negative.

“The club’s medical services have been authorised by the two players to reveal their identity in order to end speculation.”

Atletico Madrid did not register any positive cases for the virus when La Liga re-started in June.

This was after a three-month hiatus due to the pandemic, and the top flight was successfully completed without any major incidents.

But mass positive tests at Madrid side Fuenlabrada last month threw the finale of the second division season into chaos, while cases across the country have continued to rise.

The health ministry last Friday reported 1,895 new cases.

Meanwhile, watch this short educative video and don’t forget to subscribe.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here