An Afghan man who injured two U.S tourists in a knife attack in a hallway at Amsterdam’s central railway station was on Monday sentenced to 26 years and eight months in prison .
The court in Amsterdam had ruled that the attack was a terrorist act and that he had been proven guilty for his double attempts at murder.
“The man acted out of terrorist motives,’’ it said in a statement.
The 20-year-old with a residence in Germany had not expressed regret for his action in court and justified it by saying that he was protecting Islam and wanted to kill dishonest and cruel people.
In Aug. 2018, the man attacked the two people out of anger about an Islam-critical caricature competition organised by far-right populist Geert Wilders, Dutch prosecutors said in court in 2018.
One of the victims became paraplegic as a result of the attack.
While the other man who was attacked sustained an injury in his arm.
The court awarded them about 3 million euros (about 3.3 million dollars) for damages.