Speaker Race: Gbajabiamila has never been convicted – Campaign team

Phenomenal
Phenomenal
I didn’t forge oil cGbajabiamila, Minority caucus laud Okonjo-Iweala’s emergence as WTO Headontract, Obasanjo’s in-law tells court February 15, 2021 5:20 pm by eniola.ayoola ContractB ByMoji Eniola Ikeja, Feb. 15, 2021 (NAN) John Abebe, a businessman and brother-in-law of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, on Monday, before an Ikeja Special Offences Court, denied forging parts of an oil contract. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that an oil company, Statoil Nig. Ltd. had on June 22, 2010, accused the brother of the late former First Lady, Mrs Stella Obasanjo, of forgery. Statoil Nig. Ltd. alleges that the defendant forged parts of a Net Profit Interest Agreement (NPIA) dated Nov. 30, 1995, which was drafted by British Petroleum (BP). Abebe who was arraigned on July 26, 2018, faces a four-count charge of forgery, fabricating evidence, using fabricated evidence and attempt to pervert the course of justice. The charge was brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). Led in evidence by defence counsel, Mr Edoka Onyeke, Abebe who is the Managing Director of Inducon Nig. Ltd. and Osborne Chemicals Ltd., told the court the agreement was not forgery as alleged by Statoil. “In 1995, there was a lot of talk in the oil industry about Statoil wanting to sell their assets and leave the country. ” I was approached by BP in the United Kingdom and a meeting was called and held in their London office in which this particular issue was discussed between myself and BP in the UK. “At the end of the day, an agreement was signed between BP and my company, Osborne Chemicals, to work together and buy potential stakes of Statoil assets in Nigeria. “It is notable that the agreement is still very much alive and both companies have not cancelled that agreement. “It was a whole five years after, that Statoil started accusing me of forging a BP document. If indeed such existed, I do not believe BP would have touched me with a one-mile-long pole,” Abebe said. The defendant disputed the October 2018 testimony of Ms Joanne Cross, a staff of BP Petroleum, who said that the document was forged. Abebe told the court that Cross did not take part in any of the discussions between his company and BP because she was not a BP employee when the agreement was drafted. ” I did not know who she was and I was meeting her in court for the first time after almost 30 years of my relationship with BP. “I do not agree with her at all because two documents were signed on the same day.. “The second document that was signed was a three-line explanation of what was already assumed in the first document which was signed. “When I was invited by the EFCC, I made two statements, the first was rather lengthy and the second one was short. ” The second statement addressed the issue of forgery which is that there was no forgery and that has consistently been my story,” Abebe said. Justice Mojisola Dada adjourned the case until Feb. 16 for continuation of trial. (NAN) MAE/IGO ======== Edited by Ijeoma Popoola
Gbajabiamila


The Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila (APC-Lagos) has never been convicted anywhere, the Femi Gbajabiamila/Wase Campaign Team said on Wednesday.

The Director General of the team, Rep. Abdulmumin Jibrin (APC-Kano) made this known at a world press conference in Abuja.

The news conference followed series of reports claiming that Gbajabiamila was disbarred by the State Bar of Georgia in the United States of America for fraud and subsequently convicted.

He said that in the last few weeks, the media had been washed with what he described as “a reoccurring fabrication of false accusations and outright lies against the person of the Leader House of Representatives, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila.”

Jibrin said that the latest was a live press conference addressed by someone, who claimed to be speaking on behalf of Coalition of United Political Party (CUPP).

According to him, but for the publicity the press conference attracted, we would have simply ignored the baseless and unfounded allegations.

“For the benefit of doubt, we wish to once again state emphatically that Femi Gbajabiamila has never been convicted for any crime in the United States of America, Nigeria or any other country around the world for that matter.

“He has never been accused of corruption and has no corruption case hanging on his neck in Nigeria or anywhere around the world.

“He has not committed perjury and has never committed perjury in Nigeria or any country of the world.

“He was eligible to contest in all previous elections he won and indeed eligible and qualified to contest for the office of Speaker House of Representatives in the 9th Assembly,” he said

Jibrin said that Gbajabiamila had on several occasions, responded to the allegations and provided clarifications and set records straight that the allegations had been tested and struck out in our court of law.

According to him, the State Bar of Georgia has also written and categorically stated that there is no criminal conviction in the matter relating to Gbajabiamila and he is currently an active member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia.

He said that Gbajabiamila had not been served any summons by a Magistrate Court neither has he been notified by the Clerk of the Mational Assembly.

Jibrin said the campaign team was worried that those behind the antics were trying to drag the Judiciary and revered judges to what was clearly a hatched Job.

The lawmaker said that the Judiciary must not allow itself to be mixed in such cocktail of dirt.

He urged the general public to disregard the falsehoods being peddled around as it was very strange that a private citizen or organisation file criminal charges against an individual.

According to him, Gbajabiamila in his usual manner has maintained a dignified silence knowing truth to be a constant.

“However, he has now instructed his lawyers to take every necessary legal step against all those involved, their three Parliamentary conspirators and sponsors to seek redress and sue for defamation with immediate effect.

“Indeed Gbajabiamila on his own has put this matter out there in the public domain in the biography titled fearless written by Wale Okediran, a former colleague six years ago.

“Whatever they choose to do, and however, Gbajabiamila and the Deputy Majority Leader, Rep. Idris Wase (APC- Plateau) will be on the floor on the 11th live and direct to be elected Speaker and Deputy Speaker respectively.

“They are to take over from Speaker Dogara, who ceases to be Speaker from Thursday, June 6, 2019 after our valedictory session,” he said.

Jibrin said that the team had written a petition to the Inspector General of Police and other security agencies to get to the bottom of the matter and take all necessary action against CUPP and the sponsors.

He said that Gbajabiamila had a successful private legal practice career both in Nigeria and abroad and had a distinguished career in the parliament being a five term Member.

He said Gbajabiamila rose all the way in the legislature to be the Minority Leader and subsequently Majority Leader, a feat he holds in the history of Nigeria parliament.

Jibrin described Gbajabiamila as a loyal Nigeria, party man, upright, honest, hardworking, competent, level headed, a team player and a uniting force.

He said that the candidature of Gbajabiamila had received the largest number of endorsement across party lines by any speakership aspirant.

Jibrin said that Gbajabiamila had been endorsed by his colleagues members-elect, the president, party leaders, governors and other stakeholders across party lines.

Share this Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *